Happy New Year!
The majority of our learners are out in the field this week on the Duke of Edinburgh expedition, so this ULU will be brief, and the focus will be on delivering a community update on our current list of university acceptances for our G12 seniors!
Here is our university admissions update from Greg Mason our University & Careers Counselor:
Up to the winter holiday, our senior students have been busy filling in applications to universities all over the world. While the bulk of the results will not return until late Spring, we do have acceptances from our early applications to celebrate. We also have a wide range of schools offering our students admission from our direct admissions platform Concourse Global.
VERSO is at an exciting time in its history, as we are finally able to share the fruits of our labor with the universities eager for students who are curious to explore, inspired to connect, driven to contribute, and equipped to transition.
We have students applying for art and design, music, psychology, marine biology, and business. We could not be more proud of our seniors, as they choose to pursue higher education or a higher calling as change-makers.
If you see a senior on campus, congratulate them for reaching this part of their educational journey. They are soon going out into the wider world representing VERSO values and regardless of where they end up, they will always be a part of VERSO history.
As of 9 January 2024, our Class of 2024 seniors have been accepted at the following schools:
University of Melbourne
University of Sydney
Huron at Western University
Ontario Tech University
Franklin University Switzerland
United States of America
California Lutheran University
Columbia College Chicago
Glenville State University
Illinois Institute of Technology
Michigan State University
Ohio Northern University
Otis College of Art & Design
Palm Beach Atlantic University
Pennsylvania State University
Purdue University Northwest
Savannah College of Art & Design
St. Olaf College
University of South Dakota
University of Southern Mississippi
University of Utah
What is an Early Decision?
- Early decision is an American university creation that helps universities lock in students to their institutions.
- Applying "early decision" or ED, means that one cannot accept any other offer and the student guarantees that they will attend the school for which they are applying ED.
- The counselor and parent also sign, along with the student, an early decision agreement which binds all of them to enforce the choice.
- This application choice can sometimes benefit the student if their school is a top choice for them, as the applicant pool is often smaller and schools are motivated to fill their classes with students that are for sure going to attend.
- Students can be accepted, rejected, or deferred into the regular decision pool of applicants.
- It is often not beneficial for students needing financial aid for university, as there is no commitment from an ED school to meet the full needs of an applicant.
- For those who are going to need some financial help, it would be better to get multiple offers and compare which is the cheaper option.
Our seniors will continue to receive offers up to April and will lock in their final answers around 1 May 2024.
By Jarret Voytilla